Academic Advisor, Physician Assistant & Speech Language Pathology Program
Classification: Student Services Professional II
Department Name: Extended Education
Job Number: MB2021-PA2698
Status: Open Until FilledExtended! Application Screening Begins: Wednesday, June 16, 2021
Priority Screening Date: 06/15/2021
Recruitment Status: Extended! Application Screening Begins: Wednesday, June 16, 2021
Powered by an inspiring Founding Vision Statement, California State University, Monterey Bay (CSUMB) is a mid-sized comprehensive baccalaureate and masters granting university whose staff and faculty help transform student lives through a focus on student success and engagement through project-based learning, service learning in its regional community, and the promotion of multicultural and global perspectives on and beyond campus. CSUMB is both a Minority Serving Institution (MSI) and an Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) and has a vibrant, diverse student body of over 7,600 students.
The university's Strategic Plan prioritizes inclusive excellence through recruiting and investing in the development of a diverse body of faculty, staff, and administrators. CSUMB's sustainability initiative is to be carbon neutral by 2030. The university's faculty and staff, many of whom live in the East Campus housing development, appreciate living and working so close to the shores of the beautiful Monterey Bay. As one of the 23 campuses in the California State University (CSU) system, CSUMB offers excellent benefits, including access to below market rate campus housing and competitive salaries for faculty and staff.
Under the general supervision of the Sr. Director of Extended Education Programs, and daily oversight from the Program Directors, the Academic Advisor performs advanced professional student services work. The incumbent provides services that support and enhance the student learning experience in Extended Education graduate programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Oversees the MSPA and SLP program admission process. Independently, evaluates and scores initial CASPA and SDCAS applications to determine program eligibility, and provides eligibility information to PA and SLP program directors for interview selection. Manages WebAdmit databases for CASPA, SDCAS and Cal State Apply. Serves as the advisor to applicants and meets with prospective candidates. Prepares applicant progress updates involving analysis and presentation of complex data. Develops and oversees processes to track alumni and analyze student success. Updates data and maintains documents required for submission to accrediting bodies.
- Works with student services departments (e.g., Admissions, Registrar, Financial Aid) in coordination with the Sr. Director of Extended Education Programs to enhance the administration and coordination of services for students enrolled in Extended Education programs. Identifies issues, recommends, and implements solutions to problems and changes in program procedures. Ensures services and systems are working effectively to support student success and meet program goals. Carries out day-to-day assignments that affect CSUMB enrollment goals. Communicates campus policies and procedures.
- Promotes, attends and presents at special events for the both programs, including; student orientation, on-campus recruitment programs, showcases, information sessions, open houses and student health fairs. Assists with student recruitment and outreach. Increases public awareness of the College of Health Sciences and Human Services, College of Education and Extended Education academic credit programs and activities.
- Serves as advisor to students in the PA and SLP program, ensures students are meeting all degree requirements. Coordinates registration by term and refers students to campus resources and services. Maintains student files and records; ensures strict confidentiality and security of academic records.
Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Working knowledge of the practices, procedures and activities of the program to which assigned; general knowledge of the methods and problems of organizational and program management. General knowledge of research and interview techniques; and of the principles of individual and group behavior.
Ability to: interpret and apply program rules and regulations; use initiative and resourcefulness in planning work assignments and in implementing long-range program improvements; obtain factual and interpretative information through interviews; reason logically; collect, compile, analyze and evaluate data and make verbal or written presentations based on these data; advise students individually and in groups on routine matters where required; recognize multicultural, multi-sexed and multiaged value systems and work accordingly; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with faculty, CSU administrators, student organizations, private and public agencies and others in committee work, and student advising and community contacts; and, rapidly acquire a general knowledge of the overall operation, functions and programs of the campus to which assigned. Demonstrated ability to make decisions and carry through actions having implications with regard to other program or service areas Services Office.
Education: Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in one of the behavioral sciences, public or business administration or a jobrelated field. Additional specialized experience during which the applicant has acquired and successfully applied the knowledge and abilities shown above may be substituted for the required education on a yearforyear basis.
Experience: Possession of these knowledge and abilities is typically demonstrated through the equivalent of two years of professional experience in one of the student services program areas or in a related field; experience should give evidence of competence and indicate the potential for further growth. A masters degree in a jobrelated field may be substituted for one year of the professional experience.
Masters degree preferred. Knowledge of, recruitment, admission, enrollment, advising, retention, graduation, and other student and administrative services that support and enhance student learning. Excellent customer service, information literacy, and critical thinking skills. Exceptional ability to communicate verbally and in writing in a professional, persuasive, and tactful manner. A sincere desire to assist students. Technical fluency with Microsoft Office Suite, Oracle-PeopleSoft/CMS baseline system; G Suite (Gmail, Docs, Drive, and Calendar); intranet drives; and internet browsers.
Special Conditions of Employment:
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & POSITION DESIGNATIONS:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check)
- The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- This position has been designated as a sensitive position with access to and responsibility for detailed personally identifiable Level 1 confidential information about students, faculty, staff or alumni that is protected, personal or sensitive as defined in the CSU Information Security Data Classification Standards.
- This position is required to comply with confidentiality requirements outlined in the Department of Educations Family Educational Rights and Privacy and Californias Educational Code Chapter 13 regarding sensitive student issues.
- This position is designated as a Campus Security Authority (CSA) and will be required to participate in annual training and to immediately forward to the Clery Director all reports of crimes brought to their attention pursuant to the Clery Act and California State Education Code, Chapter 16, of the Donahue Higher Education Act, Section 67380.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the Universitys liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. Primary work location will be CSUMB at North Salinas but may require travel to CSUMB at Salinas City Center and the Main Campus. Any travel reimbursement will be in accordance with the CSUMB travel policy.
There are components of this job which are deemed essential on campus. This position will primarily work on the main campus, with occasional work from home. This position requires working on campus with students. The health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff remain our highest priority. In the fall, students, faculty, staff, and the community can expect that masks will be required and that the appropriate degree of social distancing will be in place in all areas based on evolving guidance. Additionally, all students, faculty, and staff are encouraged to be vaccinated before coming to campus. All community members who work or attend class on campus should expect to participate in a random or periodic testing system. CSUMB will communicate more information about vaccination requirements and testing protocols when the details become available.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Type of Appointment: Full-Time, Probationary
- Collective Bargaining Unit: Academic Professionals of California (APC)
- Anticipated Campus Hiring Salary: Mid $4,000s/month
- CSU Salary Range
- FLSA Status: Exempt
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit: CSU Benefits R04. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Employee Housing.
How to Apply:
To apply, visit https://csumb.peopleadmin.com/postings/6344
For full consideration, applicants must complete the required online application prior to the priority screen date found at csumb.edu/jobs. Application submissions received after the application screening date will be reviewed at the discretion of the University. Materials submitted become the property of CSUMB and will not be returned.
CSUMB is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions.
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified applicants with disabilities who self-disclose by contacting University Personnel at (831) 582-3389. For computer/online access you may visit the Tanimura and Antle Family Memorial Library (map). All employees must be eligible for employment in the U.S.
CSUMB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States and is an E-Verify employer. In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State University, Monterey Bay Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://csumb.edu/clery
CSUMB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus.
AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
CSUMB is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency